The Rock of Cashel, a spectacular group of Medieval buildings, was traditionally the seat of the Kings of Munster for several hundred years prior to the Norman invasion. However, in 1101 the then King donated his fortress to the church. Few of the original structures survive, the oldest structure on the site being the round tower which was built around 1100 AD. The majority of what is seen today dates from the 12th and 13th Centuries. It is also reputed to be the site of the conversion of Aengus, King of Munster, by St. Patrick in the 5th Century. It is the most visited heritage site in Ireland and is located in County Tipperary, in the southern part of Ireland, west of Kilkenny.